Unemployed Florida

Need recommendations for car insurance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need recommendations for car insurance

Post  Robyn on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:30 pm

This is way off topic: I need more affordable auto insurance fast, and State Farm just isn't working with me. Can anyone recommend a company? I'm trying online, calling, etc. Thanks very much.

Robyn

Back to top Go down

Re: Need recommendations for car insurance

Post  nancym on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:58 am

Robyn wrote:This is way off topic: I need more affordable auto insurance fast, and State Farm just isn't working with me. Can anyone recommend a company? I'm trying online, calling, etc. Thanks very much.

State Farm is Satan as far as I'm concerned. I've never had a problem in many years with Geico, don't know if others agree. I recently reduced my monthly premium to under $17, just temporarily since not working and not driving much at all. (The car is paid off, so that's of course a factor.)
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzoFL on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 am

nancym wrote:
Robyn wrote:This is way off topic: I need more affordable auto insurance fast, and State Farm just isn't working with me. Can anyone recommend a company? I'm trying online, calling, etc. Thanks very much.

State Farm is Satan as far as I'm concerned. I've never had a problem in many years with Geico, don't know if others agree. I recently reduced my monthly premium to under $17, just temporarily since not working and not driving much at all. (The car is paid off, so that's of course a factor.)

We also have used GEICO for years. Fair rates and you can contact them 24/7. I even tried going through AARP,with there Hartford Insurance.......their rates were laughable compared to GEICO. I must say,that of all the insurance companies I have dealt with over the years,GEICO's customer service is the best!
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Thanks!!

Post  Robyn on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:26 pm

^^^^ Appreciate the comments. I don't drive much and I own my car. Two votes of confidence for Geico - thanks so much.

Robyn

Back to top Go down

Post  sc4ram on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:14 pm

Ive been with State Farm for 28 years (and never filed a claim) , unfortunately I have to concur with the negative comments expressed on State Farm based on their recent activity. Just got my car renewal today and it had a 16% increase. They have also notified me that they wont renew my homeowners insurance (which is the case state wide) .

I'll watch the inputs here with great interest for a replacement company.

thanks
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  Robyn on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:44 pm

sc4ram wrote:Ive been with State Farm for 28 years (and never filed a claim) , unfortunately I have to concur with the negative comments expressed on State Farm based on their recent activity. Just got my car renewal today and it had a 16% increase. They have also notified me that they wont renew my homeowners insurance (which is the case state wide) .

I'll watch the inputs here with great interest for a replacement company.

thanks

Sounds eerily familiar. Sounds like State Farm is raising many premiums 15-16 percent in PB and Broward counties. I'm PB and it's 10. I have the same long, no-claims history with State Farm, yet am nearing $400/quarter. Nancy, you make me jealous.
Homeowners was Allstate, then Citizens. I own with my sister and have to check.

Robyn

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:26 pm

Robyn wrote:I have the same long, no-claims history with State Farm, yet am nearing $400/quarter. Nancy, you make me jealous.

Heh-heh. Understand that my current rate is not anything I'd recommend for anyone actually driving much at all. The little work I'm getting I do mostly from home, and the old car just sits there except for trips for groceries primarily. Prior to my reducing my coverage I was paying around $350-$400 per half year for decent overall coverage for liability, comprehensive, etc. But I appreciated the fact that I was able to speak with Geico customer service to get this temporary fix for the lowest legally acceptable policy and save some money til I get a job!
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  MerryL on Sun May 02, 2010 5:08 pm

I'm another long time State Farm customer who is renegotiating... only now my credit is lousy. Anyway I recommend Amica to anyone who needs full coverage or close to full coverage. Amica is great with claims too.... For basic liability, Geico's rates seem low, plus I have two friends who had accidents in south Florida in the last six months and Geico's claims people responded immediately. But after that, things were bumpy because staff turnover is high at Geico, probably like it is at many ins companies.

For homeowners, Citizens....

Edit: I wasn't going to mention this but it's important. One friend who was in an accident is already being sued by the other party. She had minimum coverage and stands to lose a lot. So if you have assets, think twice before deciding on a "bare bones" policy. If you don't have health coverage, take a look at Medical Payments and Uninsured Motorist coverages too.

Last edited by MerryL on Sun May 02, 2010 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding info)

MerryL

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym on Sun May 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Just wanted to add my agreement about the Medical Payments option. I don't have assets to speak of, and since I still don't have a job and don't drive much, I'm not too concerned with more than legally mandated liability coverage. However, if I ever get back to "normal" I had planned to add Medical Payments.

Many years ago I had an accident that wasn't my fault, but I had a severe whiplash that required continued treatment for years. Even though that's a relatively minor injury compared to a crash victim, that $10,000 PIP coverage was completely eaten up in less than a year. Once those doctors know you have the coverage, they charge as much as possible. Just one doctor used up most of my coverage and I was left with nothing more for treatment except out of pocket. If I had had Medical Payments coverage it would have taken over those expenses.

On a different subject-- Adding to that fiasco, I spotted one bill in my EOBs that came in the mail as a large payment to some doctor I never heard of! (Medical fraud is enormous in Florida.) I caught the mistake (or fraud attempt) by calling my insurance company. I think hardly anybody reads their EOBs very carefully, so mistakes and fraud are rampant.
nancym

Back to top Go down

Seven months later.....

Post  Robyn on Wed May 19, 2010 12:59 am

I'm still with State Farm for auto! I know, I know...I'm pathetic. I was working in CA for a few months and just left everything as is. But I lowered my annual premium 300 bucks, so this isn't entirely negative. Because my car is fairly new, I need comp and collision. I also want Medpay and uninsured. I'm paid up until August, and then I seriously need to ditch State Farm and my agent from hell.

I agree about Amica: It's a top-rated company and has a regional office in Orlando. Everyone seems to love Amica. I even know a guy who loves the company so much that he's in a corporate video. I couldn't get the coverage I have w/ SF, and they wanted a weird set-up fee, but I would save almost $250/year. Both Geico and Liberty Mutual quoted the same coverage at much lower rates - up to 45 percent lower annually - so it'll be Geico.

Nancy, I agree: If you're in an accident and have high limits, everyone wants a chunk.

Robyn

Back to top Go down

State Farm

Post  sc4ram on Wed May 19, 2010 11:02 am

Ive kept on @ State Farm also, even though they modestly raised my auto rates this year (Ive shopped around and I cant find a better rate ). Ive elimanted colision and comprehensive, but have a $300K max liability. The other factor here is I still have my house insured with them. Almost 2 years ago State Farm made a announcement that they would no longer underwrite home owners insurance in Fla. and sent offficial notices out. (Fla wouldnt allow them to raise rates to their liking so they said they would leave). Given that I had negoiated a significant rate reduction from the last time they jacked up the homeowners rates (due to Hurricane protections that I installed) I opted to renew my homeowners insurance last year. When I spoke to them in December about my Auto Ins increases, they said they were negoiating with Fla to remain in the state (the pull out notice must of been a bluff) , and they offered me the same low homeowners renewal again this year while negoiations were in progress.

Economically its been a good deal to stay with State Farm so far (vs alternatives) , we'll see what kind of home owners rate increases they negoiated wtih the State when i get my renewal notice next year. I noticed that Gov Goodtime Charlie vetoed a bill this session that would of given them more latitude to set rates.

Stay Tuned
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Gainsco

Post  Sheila on Wed May 19, 2010 9:13 pm

I use Gainsco now. I had state farm for almost 20 years. Never had one accident or ticket, not one. I missed one payment ,(Well, it was late) and State Farm not only threaten to cancel me right away, they took away my ability to pay monthly. I will never do business with State Farm again, I hope the whole company leaves the state.

Sheila

Back to top Go down

State Farm

Post  sc4ram on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:16 am

State Farm upped my car ins rates again last month. When I called my agent they said it was because a major road in my town is under construction and there have been a lot of claims due to accidents in the construction zone. (There is a road that is being expanded to 6 lanes from 4 and there have been a lot of accidents) .

The only odd thing is , the reason they are widening the road is that there was a lot of accidents on the road to begin with (Ive mostly avoided driving on this road becase its a pain in the neck anyway) . When they gave me a rate increase 6 months ago they used the same justification. My agent swore that her rates went up in kind also. The construction will complete this year, so I wonder if we will then get a rate redux.........

Like I posted earlier they do give me a multiple discount given I have my homeowners ins with them. State Farm was going to leave Florida (home owners insurance) until the state recently negoiated with them to stay. From the article below this could be trouble.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20100704/COLUMNISTS0207/7040331/Reed--Insurance-laws-likely-will-limit-discounts
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Rpt says PIP Auto ins rates will come down

Post  sc4ram on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:28 pm

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/business/report-says-pip-auto-insurance-bills-should-go-dow/nRG2w/
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Over 55 drivers in the dark on Auto Ins discounts

Post  sc4ram on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:45 pm

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/business/mature-drivers-in-the-darkon-course-that-discounts/nT2wb/
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top