Unemployed Florida

It could be worse, we could live in Haiti

View previous topic View next topic Go down

It could be worse, we could live in Haiti

Post  sc4ram on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:50 am

Just a side note, that the Duffys Sports Bar chain is accepting and matching monetary donations at their locations for Haiti earthquake relief. I (as Im sure most of you) are not in a position to be a philanthropist , but I made a small donation today knowing the Duffys would double my nothing and make it something.

Those poor people didnt have a economy before the earthquake let alone now, and they will have no unemployment extension to ponder. My interest here is not only humane but I would politely suggest that anything we can do to keep those people from getting into their bath-tubs and paddling to Miami will be in all of our interests.

God Bless
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Re: It could be worse, we could live in Haiti

Post  Unemployed In Orlando on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:39 am

Agreed, the $10 I donated via txt and on cell phone bill is all I could do, but they need everything they can get. Thanks for the heads up about Duffys though!
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

http://unemployed-florida.topdiscussion.com

Back to top Go down

I remember when: Great Depression didn't get a growing kid down

Post  sc4ram on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:49 pm

As I kid, I grew up around several older guys and heard many stories on how bad it was during the great depression of the 1930s, I heard it so much that I became numb to it and figured that it must be some kind of conspiracy to induce good behaviour in kids (of course I grew up with plenty to eat and new clothes for school a bike to ride and plenty of presents at Christmas time so such a calamity was not within the bounds of my imagination) . It became refrain like "eat your food because there are starving kids in India". I woke up one day back in the 80s when I first saw the John Ford movie "The Grapes of Wrath" , 1940 (adapted from the John Stienbeck novel of the same title) , and the extreme poverty level of the depression that the movie portrayed, then I finally "got it". If you have never seen it I suggest that you give it viewing sometime.

As a engineer I try to imagine things in worse case scenerios in both what was my professional life and now my personal life (since things rarely achieve such a scenerio I am rarely dissapointed, seems to help my general attitude)

So I will post this article under the theme of "it could be worse"............. enjoy

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-remember-when-money-020410-20100203,0,2960447.story
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Re: It could be worse, we could live in Haiti

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top