Unemployed Florida

Got a job, now I am penniless.....A warning to others

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Got a job, now I am penniless.....A warning to others

Post  Sheila on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:23 pm

I finally got a good job. Started Monday of this week, now I am totally broke.

Yesterday I found out that I have absolutely no money. You see, even though the credit company that sued me said they would wait and work something out with me when I got a job, they decided to withdraw ALL the money out of my checking account yesterday. I now have ZERO. Here I am, keeping everything to the penny, knowing exactly what I have, here I am finally getting a job after looking for so long, and this happens. I called them today and they were really nasty to me.

I now get to spend ALL DAY tomorrow, the day of my mom's funeral, fighting with these people. So apparently, I would have been better off if I never got a job. At least I would qualify for food stamps. Now, keep in mind, I haven't gotten a paycheck yet, I just started Monday.

I am so mad that we have a government that allows a bank to pick on people like me, to allow me to become penniless, yet if that bank were in trouble, it would get a bailout. Sorry , but I am really mad this time. I feel like I try, and try. I really, really wish I had a lawyer friend that could help me with these things. Can't wait to see what comes my way tomorrow.

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Re: Got a job, now I am penniless.....A warning to others

Post  Unemployed In Orlando on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:37 pm

Sorry to hear this Shelia, this absolutely SUCKS!

I did some searching online to look at any positive information for you and come across an article which is similar to your situation, unfortunately it looks like a bankruptcy would be the only way out pale

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/bankruptcy/20080520-bank-account-levies-a1.asp

I hope things get better for you soon, sorry to hear about your loss.
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

http://unemployed-florida.topdiscussion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppy on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:13 am

Sheila, I don't think I've ever heard anything as sad as your situation. I am so sorry for your loss. I pray that things will work out for you soon.
Hoppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheila on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:20 am

Unemployed In Orlando wrote:Sorry to hear this Shelia, this absolutely SUCKS!

I did some searching online to look at any positive information for you and come across an article which is similar to your situation, unfortunately it looks like a bankruptcy would be the only way out pale

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/bankruptcy/20080520-bank-account-levies-a1.asp

I hope things get better for you soon, sorry to hear about your loss.
Thank you for the article. Unfortunately, I like many of the unemployed, couldn't and still can't afford to file bankruptcy. I have no way out, like I said, I should have never got a job. Now I am going to have to depend on others just to feed my child and put gas in my car.

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:41 am

If they violated any of the comsumer credit protection laws you can have your bank reverse the money they took from your account. My bank has done it for me more than once.
http://www.nbc-2.com/Global/story.asp?S=12284972
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre18.shtm

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post  Sheila on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Thank you for the links Grandma. I am researching and seeing what my rights are. I just went to my credit Union and discovered they have also frozen my 16 year old's savings account. She worked all summer for that money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to America folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am livid. The credit Union can't do anything to help me. I have to call child support now and see if they will give me a check instead of direct deposit. Anything that goes into my account or any new account will be zapped away immediately. Gee, sure glad I found a job.

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:05 pm

Sheila, that's absolutely horrible! But not surprising, since I'm going through some similar problems with creditors. Not that it's any help to you right now, but there are some in Congress who are specifically working on stopping this practice of creditors freezing accounts that include benefits that they are not legally supposed to take.

You do have rights, and ANY money that was in that account that was any kind of state benefits like unemployment benefits or child support or whatever is NOT something that can be taken by your creditors. The problem is that under current law they can essentially cause you untold grief by seizing you bank contents and then you have to go through steps to prove what was in there was something they can't take. The bank itself has really little say in this initial freeze order; they have to obey the laws to freeze the account by the court order of the judgment. (Hopefully that will change.)

Start with your bank account manager; they deal with this all the time. If they can't reverse the order directly, they can at least tell you what you have to do--i.e., prove what monies were un-seizable and there are forms to fill out to prove it. I can't recall if you can get those from the bank or from the courthouse. You should be eligible for Legal Aid services, or whatever similar legal services there are in your area. You can get that money back, it just might take a little while.

THEN you have to worry about garnishment from your pay, as I assume you might know. Don't ever trust a creditor who says they will wait on anything; they're all a bunch of slimeballs. Legally they can only garnish certain amounts from your pay, not all of it. You might want to consider bk, if that turns out to be your only option, by using some of the DIY services that are available online. If you don't have major assets like a home or whatever, that might work for you. With online software that gives you a bunch of forms to fill out for the court, along with a lot of your own research to make sure you are doing the process correctly, you could probably do a bk for around $400-$600, including court costs, if those can't be waived. Just something to consider once you get working and get whatever money back from those bastards that they can't legally keep.

There are also prepaid debit cards that many are using for any kind of benefits payments that can't be seized. I put my SS payments into one that the government allows to be used for that. The commercial ones can be purchased from places like CVS and other retailers, and some allow for direct deposit. I'm not sure if it's possible for creditors to seize that as well, but I do know (from having consulted already with my local free legal services organization) that they recommend that you SEPARATE any money that it is not legal to have seized, like child support or other benefits, so that there is no question which money is which in any one account.
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  studioWI on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:49 pm

Thanks Nancy...just for the knowledge of inspiration
We all need help right now and it's good to know we're not all dead yet..

studioWI

Back to top Go down

Thanks Nancy

Post  Sheila on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:27 pm

I have been researching and they cannot garnish your pay if you are the head of the household and earn less than $500 per week. I already have my child support set up to be sent to me directly as a check and I will make sure my pay is not direct deposit. I have to set up a hearing to get any of the other money back, including my daughter's account. What peaves me the most is that they said time and time again, that they will work with me once I get job, the LIARS. They claim in their court papers, that it was February 13th that they decided I had extra money. Um...I was on unemployment until March 15th. I can't afford to file bankruptcy, that is why they are doing this. Bankruptcy here is $1500...I don't qualify for any legal services here either. I will get through it, but am mad at the whole thing and the fact they can do this to people. Stay liquid everyone!!! Just saying...

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top