Unemployed Florida

Share Your Success Stories, New Jobs, Business Startups, Etc.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Share Your Success Stories, New Jobs, Business Startups, Etc.

Post  Unemployed In Orlando on Thu May 27, 2010 11:09 am

Here is a thread we can use for anyone who has been with us for the long haul and have landed a job etc. Many people still frequent the site to see the latest news and such even after they are able to dig their way to out of this economic disaster. Feel free to post your personal stories on landing a new job or any other success in your life. Thanks! cheers
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

http://unemployed-florida.topdiscussion.com

Back to top Go down

New Job

Post  Sheila on Mon May 31, 2010 3:00 pm

I found a new job 7 weeks ago after being unemployed for 2 and a half years. It is a really good job with really nice people and I feel lucky to have it. For those of you who are having a hard time, and yes I understand, try to be positive everyday. You never know who is going to call you. I had my struggles, almost lost my house twice and am still paying the price for being unemployed. (I have a garnishment hearing Wednesday). I know however, it can only get better no matter how slow the climb will be. I still advocate for the unemployed, I still write politicians and what not. Don't give up folks!!!!

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Re: Share Your Success Stories, New Jobs, Business Startups, Etc.

Post  nancym on Mon May 31, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for posting, Sheila. Glad to hear things are rolling along in a positive way.
nancym

Back to top Go down

Got a Part-Time Job Offer, Need Advice Please!

Post  Tampa Bay - Anna on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Hello my fellow Unemployed!
So Friday night, a local business owner & I went out to dinner. She told me her assistant is leaving (for good reasons) & asked me if I was interested in taking the job. I was thrilled of course! Very Happy We talked yesterday afternoon & I agreed to take the job. It's only 15 hrs a week at $10 per hour. The job itself would be low stress, nice working environment & is close enough to my home that I could ride my bike or even walk (if my car was on the fritz, a very real concern lately). So LOTS of great reasons to take the job.
But last night I tossed & turned thinking about it. Here's my concern:
I will only take home just over $100 per week after taxes. As a 99er who exhausted benefits in March, that feels like a fortune, lol! In all seriousness though, my father is paying all my living expenses right now (grateful but hate it), and even with the part-time job I'd need an additional $800 per month from him. With the new S. 3706 bill from Senator Stabenow, there is hope we will get a Tier V for 20 weeks. Realistically it wouldn't be for a couple of months, but it would be more than twice the amount I'd take home from the part-time job.
Now before anyone gets all "judgy" on me.... Let me say I really want to take this job. I really, really miss working. But $400 a month isn't enough to live on and my father is bearing the burden of my unemployment. With a Tier V, he'd be able to give me a couple hundred bucks in lieu of 800 bucks. HUGE difference.
So does anyone know if I take the part-time job, while I have no benefits, if I can still claim Unemployment when a Tier V comes along? I know that part of my earnings would be deducted from the benefits & I'm ok with that as I rather work if I can. But if I wouldn't qualify for a Tier V or would only qualify on the part-time earnings (instead of the full amount I was receiving), then that would be upsetting. I want to take the job, but not if it ends up costing my father 4 times as much. It's killing me that my retired & extremely frugal father is footing the bill & taking a big hit with his retirement. He's currently helping 3 of 4 adult children cope with unemployment!
Anyways, thanks for any advice you can offer. I'm really struggling with my desire to work & my need to do the right thing by my father. I know this is the one place I can express that & fellow 99ers would understand my dilemma. Thanks for listening!
Tampa Bay - Anna

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:12 pm

Anna--

I can't say if taking that job would actually disqualify you, but they would definitely try to calculate your recent earnings to see if you qualify for a new benefit year.

Three points:

1) Is the job definitely on salary, or maybe on contract with no taxes taken out--that makes a huge difference in how it's handled. (See my recent post on this subject under the EB thread.)

2) Definitely check into the new provision in the HR 4213 law that provides for some kind of less punishing way to handle part-time work. I don't know the details, but I know it's in the bill. Find the actual law and see if you can work out how that might affect you.

Good luck, and congrats on actually getting a work opportunity!

3) Do you really think it will be just a couple months for Tier V? Even optimistically you have to consider Florida's usual lag time. And Stabenow's bill would not be retroactive, unless they amend it (doubtfull), so even though your earnings would count toward AWI calculations (unless it's contract work), no money would be subtracted prior to any bill that's signed. If I were you, I'd calculate the overall amount you might earn over 9-12 months against a possible Tier V.

4) Don't forget the "employed" factor as a plus for finding a job! And who knows, you might even be able to find another little job like that to supplement (I know, I know) or it could lead into more hours.

All this not to say you should do either one thing or another, just a few thoughts, and definitely check into that new provision in HR 4213.
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top