Unemployed Florida

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible

Post  Unemployed In Orlando on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Maggi MIami wrote:Very Happy Smile Keeping my 10 fingers crossed,,,UIO!!! how are you?????

Doin great Maggi, hope all is well with you! Very Happy

Just got back in the house and watching Cspan that I tivo'ed earlier, looks like they arent getting to our bill till a little bit later.
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

http://unemployed-florida.topdiscussion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ddee2026 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:00 pm

It's on now...

ddee2026

Back to top Go down

Passed the House!

Post  nancym on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:46 am

HR 3548 passed the House by a large margin today. Now on to the Senate. If passed it will give 13 extra weeks to anyone exhausting benefits.

Now call your Senators about this bill!
nancym

Back to top Go down

It's in print!

Post  SaraJ on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:06 am

It's official! HR3458 passes in the House...here's the article

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE58L6TX20090922

Very Happy Smile Very Happy

SaraJ

Back to top Go down

Bill passed House

Post  kittyg59 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:42 am

link to the story:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-us-unemployment-benefits,0,6584098.story

kittyg59

*ADMIN EDIT - I keep moving your posts.. Please post within the established threads

Last edited by Unemployed In Orlando on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved to correct thread)

kittyg59

Back to top Go down

Post  fred on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:53 am

Our Bill passed the House and most likely the Senate and the President will sign it into law. Our own Charlie Crist still has to request the new funds in order for us to get them. Our last 20 week extension could have been requested 3-4 weeks earlier. We need to pressure Crist now to sign off.

fred

Back to top Go down

Bill to extend jobless benefits would help 300,000 including some in Florida

Post  sc4ram on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:02 am

This AP article has been posted here earlier, this version has some Florida spin on it.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/sfl-jobless-benefits-extend-092109,0,5625959.story
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzoFL on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:26 pm

GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Latest NELP Email

Post  Unemployed In Orlando on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Sharing with those who might not be signed up with the NELP email newsletter -

Dear Friends-

Yesterday, The House of Representatives took quick action and an important first step in combating long-term unemployment. The House measure, which passed overwhelmingly by a vote of 331 to 83, reflected strong bipartisan support for workers and their families struggling to cope with the devastating hardships of unemployment in today's economy.

While the House vote was a critical first step in moving the extension through Congress in time to help hundreds of thousands of jobless workers who will run out of their federal benefits this month, it now sets the stage for the Senate to improve on the measure. The House bill provides 13 weeks of additional benefits to workers in high unemployment states, leaving workers in 23 states-those with unemployment rates below 8.5% (averaged over three months)-with no additional assistance after they exhaust their current unemployment benefits. The Senate can fill this void by providing additional benefits to workers in all states, in the process laying the groundwork for final legislation that will better meet the needs of all long-term jobless workers and their communities nationwide.

Amid new evidence of surging long-term unemployment, focus must now shift to the Senate for immediate action to provide benefits to laid-off workers in all states. NELP is calling for Congress to enact an extension that provides at least 10 weeks of additional benefits for workers running out of their existing assistance regardless of where they live, and as much as 20 additional weeks of benefits in states with higher unemployment rates. You can take action with this new message by clicking here

http://www.nelp.org/page/speakout/FedBensNow

Thanks again for everything you have already done.
Best,
Andy, Tiphany, Christine, Debbie, Maurice, Judy and Rick
The National Employment Law Project's Unemployed Workers team
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MiamiVice on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Hello UIO!!!! This is Maggi MIami, i got logged out today because they had to do a system restore to my pc and i lost all my pw, the ones i did not remember, and i was having a fit, including the one here, after several tries i decided to just go ahead and get a new name. You may discard the old account, sorry for any trouble caused, i already wrote down the info in a secure place!!!! I am also subscribing to the NELP, anything in order to help the cause!!!!!We are all HAPPY AND THANKFUL about the new decision on extending benefits, i imagine this will not require the job searches as it will be like the normal UC, right? that's what I thought! i get my last check tomorrow, so there we go again, hope this passes the senate and they start the uc again asap for everyone's sake!!!

God Bless! Very Happy
MiamiVice

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:44 pm

MiamiVice wrote:Hello UIO!!!! This is Maggi MIami, i got logged out today because they had to do a system restore to my pc and i lost all my pw, the ones i did not remember, and i was having a fit, including the one here, after several tries i decided to just go ahead and get a new name. You may discard the old account, sorry for any trouble caused, i already wrote down the info in a secure place!!!! I am also subscribing to the NELP, anything in order to help the cause!!!!!We are all HAPPY AND THANKFUL about the new decision on extending benefits, i imagine this will not require the job searches as it will be like the normal UC, right? that's what I thought! i get my last check tomorrow, so there we go again, hope this passes the senate and they start the uc again asap for everyone's sake!!!

God Bless! Very Happy

Heya Maggi! Welcome back! Next time you dont have to make a new account, just message me as a guest and Ill email you your password. I also responded to your email and included my personal email addy last week so if you need anything let me know Very Happy
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MiamiVice on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:23 pm

uio, I am soo dumb, i should have thought about that, i do have the info you kindly sent me, this will not happen again, i got all the info well secured!!!
have a pleasant rest of the night, and stay well,!!!!!!
MiamiVice

Back to top Go down

2 unemployed orlando

Post  tj21121008 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:56 pm

i have been out of work since 2007 will 3548 help me i got my last eb sept 3?????????? pale
tj21121008

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:43 pm

tj21121008 wrote:i have been out of work since 2007 will 3548 help me i got my last eb sept 3?????????? pale

Yes, it will. It just has to pass the Senate, which hopefully will be soon.
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  MiamiVice on Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:43 pm

Some people are just plain mean, i just came back from WinnDixie, the line was long at the cashier and this man was talking to me and other woman there and he said that he thought the extension will not apply to people that have already finished their EB's, and i said where did you hear that, and he says, well, if you are finished you are finished, you can't just start all over again....i got so pissed off that i left the line and moved to another line, UIO, what do you think of this? i have not heard anywhere that they are going to not give extension to the ones that have ended their eb's.....right? pale silent
MiamiVice

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando on Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:55 pm

MiamiVice wrote:Some people are just plain mean, i just came back from WinnDixie, the line was long at the cashier and this man was talking to me and other woman there and he said that he thought the extension will not apply to people that have already finished their EB's, and i said where did you hear that, and he says, well, if you are finished you are finished, you can't just start all over again....i got so pissed off that i left the line and moved to another line, UIO, what do you think of this? i have not heard anywhere that they are going to not give extension to the ones that have ended their eb's.....right? pale silent

No, the new extension is EUC and will post credits to your EUC account. My only concern is that if they will go back and draw off the new EUC or continue on EB till it runs out then put the EUC in effect. I posted earlier about making a new thread for this if it in fact becomes an issue Very Happy
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:01 pm

Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzoFL on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:44 pm

UIO:

I don't know if you read it or not, but I posted a link to a story from Capital News today that might be the source of that guy's confusion MiamiVice was talking about. The story stated it was "unclear" if anyone who has already exhausted their benefits would benefit from HR3548's 13 week extension. Read the last paragraph....a Darwin Award is in this reporters future.

http://www.flanews.com/?p=7290

Razz
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:33 pm

GonzoFL wrote:UIO:

I don't know if you read it or not, but I posted a link to a story from Capital News today that might be the source of that guy's confusion MiamiVice was talking about. The story stated it was "unclear" if anyone who has already exhausted their benefits would benefit from HR3548's 13 week extension. Read the last paragraph....a Darwin Award is in this reporters future.

http://www.flanews.com/?p=7290

Razz

I nominate that reporter to host the Darwin Awards...sheesh
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

S. 1699

Post  nancym on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:40 am

A companion bill to 3548, Senate bill S. 1699, was introduced in the Senate by Senator Jack Reed of RI, and is now shown on Open Congress and other website for Congressional bills.

I haven't studied this bill, but on quick glance it appears to be identical to the recent bill passed in the House, HR 3548.

S. 1699 is now the bill to watch, and mention to your Senators when you call. It has already 9 co-sponsors:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/thomas

Having an identical bill will move this more quickly, but then amendments for including more states are still a possibility.
nancym

Back to top Go down

Extended Jobless Benefits Explained

Post  sc4ram on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:35 am

sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Latest NELP Email

Post  Unemployed In Orlando on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:46 pm

For those who did not get this from NELP :

Dear Friends-
Yesterday, Senator Max Baucus, Chairman of the Finance Committee, introduced legislation (Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2009) that provides additional weeks of federal jobless benefits to workers in all states.Chairman Baucus' bill, which builds on the House measure (H.R. 3548) that passed last week providing more weeks of benefits for workers in high unemployment states, helps set the stage for quick Senate action.

In contrast to the bill that passed on the House last week, under the Baucus bill, workers in all states will receive an additional four weeks of federally-funded jobless benefits. Workers in high unemployment states - those states with unemployment rates over 8.5% currently 27 states - would receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits, totaling 17 weeks of additional federal assistance. This is a step forward, and is thanks to our hard work together.

Action on the Baucus bill is expected in the second half of next week. Given the strong support in the House for HR 3548, we would expect that the House would strongly support this new package if the Senate passes it. Therefore, it is our strong hope that the Senate bill will become a catalyst for an enactment and delivery of federal jobless benefits in a number of weeks.

With today's news that the job market took another nose dive in September, there is likely to be strong support for Baucus's more generous package.

Still, even if you already have done so, please contact your Senator today. Let them know how imperative it is that swift action be taken to extend benefits for all of the country's unemployed workers, and get everyone of your friends to do so, so we can have a strong bipartisan vote in favor of the bill when it comes to the floor.

To read NELP's press release on the bill, click here.

As we receive more definitive information, we'll pass it along. We wish the next extension of benefits was starting this week. We know how gut wrenching it is for those of you who are waiting for Congress to act, and we are doing everything we can to get this passed soon.

Sincerely,

Andy, Andriette, Tiphany, Rick, Christine, Maurice, Debbie and Judy
The unemployedworkers.org team
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff on Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:18 am

That's great news. Thanks for the info. As a conservative I'd like to say God bless Democrats Baucus, McDermott, Reed and all the other supporters of unemployed Americans. Now if they could only find the gumption to freeze foreign work visas (1.4 million per year) and make sure that illegal aliens (fifteen million of them)don't take American jobs. It would go a long way towards putting a large majority of unemployed Americans back to work, and keep the profits in America, further strengthening our economy, rather than wired out of the country.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:41 pm

Greenspan was on Stephanopolous this AM and mentioned that the government should help the unemployed with extensions. Later, a couple of Senators....Shumer and a Republican said they'd be working on the 4-17 week extensions (mentioned in earlier posts) bill this week. This is comforting to know .....that they are mindfull of the plight of the unemployed in spite of all the other matters the Senate and Congress are working on.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  sc4ram on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:50 pm

I saw the same Sunday show today, and heard the encouraging comments from Mr. Greenshades and the Senators. I don’t want to sound like a pessimist, (perhaps a hard realist) but very little of what those guys in Congress say gives me confidence.

If you caught the end of the interview with Sen. Schumer of NY and Sen. Cornyn of Tx, Sen. Cornyn commented that since Texas has under 8.5% unemployment (and thus they would only get a 4-week extension under the proposed Senate bill) he asked Sen. Schumer if he would work with him on modifying the bill. Senator Schumer said yes. This is very nice cumbiya, but if they are sincere it will lead to more debate and political maneuvering (nothing wrong with that but it will take time).

Also (in my opinion) we should keep the time line in mind. If you recall last year, Pres Bush singed a EUC extension a week or two after the election last November. I didn’t receive my first EUC DD until Christmas Day.

I think we'll get a extension approved here, the unknown is when.

Good Luck &
Stay tuned
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top