Re: Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible

Post  grandmom49 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:28 pm

http://www.c-span.org/Watch/C-SPAN2_rm.aspx

streaming live estension debate. vote scheduled for 5pm

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Procedural Vote = Done

Post  Me From Jax on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:57 pm

Now since only a simple majority is needed for passage.. Anyone know the number of Senators needed?

Me From Jax

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:07 pm

51 Senators are needed for a quorum

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:47 pm

I don't understand. 87 senators vote on the cloture issue. 85 of them voted yay indicating bipartisan support for bringing the bill to a vote. Then 51 senators could not be located to vote on the bill? Did they go out to dinner and will come back to vote on the bill?

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:54 pm

InsuranceMan wrote:Just a quick comment about the measure of responsibility that the citizenry hold for their own welfare:

Amen! Smile
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:00 pm

grandmom49 wrote:I don't understand. 87 senators vote on the cloture issue. 85 of them voted yay indicating bipartisan support for bringing the bill to a vote. Then 51 senators could not be located to vote on the bill? Did they go out to dinner and will come back to vote on the bill?

They are not allowed by the rules of the Senate to vote on the bill right away after the cloture vote. A clock starts with that vote that goes for 30 hours before any vote for the bill itself, though if both sides agreed by unanimous consent to stop the clock, they could vote on the bill earlier. But unanimous consent requires that not ONE senator disagree! So we have to wait until the 30 hours is up, OR til they announce an earlier agreement.

(I won't be around much this evening to post a summary over at the Benefit Wiki, but there is running commentary on this process over on OpenCongress.org, under bill comments for S. 1699 (even though our bill is now HR3548!). One of the posters there named Taylor09 has been studying up on the exact Senate rules, if you want to follow her comments.)
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:17 pm

Does thirty hours mean business hours or clock hours?

Judy

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Thank you Nancy M. I will check out the link you recommended.

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:09 pm

Judy wrote:Does thirty hours mean business hours or clock hours?

The Senate uses clock hours or legislative hours, which can mean only when the Senate is in session. But they also decide which to use when the do the cloture, and they also sometimes use sort of "dummy" sessions to count as a legislative "day" to comply with a related rule that has something to do with these matters also, i.e., "the next legislative day." And then they can decide to recess instead of adjourn, which continues a legislative day. I'm not an expert on the tangled web of Senate rules or parliamentary rules; it can get really complex, and sometimes seems like an intricate football play, the way both sides maneuver around with the rules to either get stuff passed, or delay what they don't want passed. As I said, Open Congress's forums can sometimes be pretty politically heated and annoying, but at times like this, they do a pretty good "play-by-play" of the process of legislation. And the moderator Donny also has some kind of blog going today about this.
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:28 am

Latest links for news summaries for the bill are posted on the Benefit Wiki for Open Congress:

http://www.opencongress.org/wiki/Project:Benefit_Wiki#Latest_news_on_bill_progress

Please note that OC's Benefit Wiki is not only a news source for legislation, but the Benefit Wiki was started for the purpose of providing resources for those running out of benefits, in need of extra help, whether receiving benefits or not. It's a nationwide resource, sort of like this forum is for Florida, created by the online community, and there are individual state resource links that are just getting started. You don't need to be a member of OC in order to read the Benefit Wiki, but if you want to contribute information to the state resource areas, you simply need to create a login. (Please note that I don't consider the Benefit Wiki as an alternative to this forum, but rather an additional resource, especially for national news and help. The two serve slightly different purposes.)
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:26 am

I don't know if this has been posted previously, but for those of you who understand legalese, here is the text of the bill:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.3404:

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:46 am

nancym wrote:
Judy wrote:Does thirty hours mean business hours or clock hours?

The Senate uses clock hours or legislative hours, which can mean only when the Senate is in session. But they also decide which to use when the do the cloture, and they also sometimes use sort of "dummy" sessions to count as a legislative "day" to comply with a related rule that has something to do with these matters also, i.e., "the next legislative day." And then they can decide to recess instead of adjourn, which continues a legislative day. I'm not an expert on the tangled web of Senate rules or parliamentary rules; it can get really complex, and sometimes seems like an intricate football play, the way both sides maneuver around with the rules to either get stuff passed, or delay what they don't want passed. As I said, Open Congress's forums can sometimes be pretty politically heated and annoying, but at times like this, they do a pretty good "play-by-play" of the process of legislation. And the moderator Donny also has some kind of blog going today about this.

Thank you, Nancy

Judy

Judy

Back to top Go down

Rep Hoyer: House To Take Up Jobless Benefits Bill

Post  sc4ram on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:38 pm

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=200911031113dowjonesdjonline000467&title=rep-hoyer-house-to-take-up-jobless-benefits-bill
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

unemployment extension

Post  connorsgp on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:49 pm

seems to me, if the House quickly accepts and OK's the bill it could--in a perfect world--be signed by Obama on Friday, but more likely early next week, in any event good news for all of us.

connorsgp

Back to top Go down

Senate's vote to extend jobless benefits delayed

Post  sc4ram on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:19 pm

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091103/BIZ/911030420/1409/METRO
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:57 pm

I keep seeing that the Senate Dems can pass this bill anytime they like because they have the votes to do it so why have they let the GOP play with us like this? Any ideas?

Judy

Back to top Go down

Post  SaraJ on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:04 pm

Can anyone tell me why they keep having cloture votes? The senate has already had two & now there is going to be another one? I thought after a cloture vote, they had 30 hours & then HAD to vote on the bill. What's the deal? We could go into an endless loop of cloture votes. Doesn't anyone have the balls in our Senate to just bring this bill to vote? It would obviously pass as the Dems control the Senate.

SaraJ

Back to top Go down

Post  sc4ram on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:15 pm

In my opinion, the Dems are now using their 60 vote majority to push this thru by cutting off debate in various procedural votes (within the Senate rules) It would be easy to conclude that the Dems should of started this process much earlier. The dispute is over how many ammendments the Repubs would be allowed to offer, this process would move relitively quickly of the 2 parties simply agreed to move ahead, the hold up is the Repubs want to offer several ammendments, the Dems wont let them (although there are Democratic ammendments in the bill) , in that light the Repubs are excercising their option to run out the legislative clock on deliberation.
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  waybol on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:56 am

What a bunch of crap it is plain to see they (republicans ) do not give a damn for us little people waiting in the balance of their polictial bullshit. It can only remind me of school kid type of action but yet this is our Government in action.They are going to make it take as long as it can for no other reason as than they can.We all know this will pass but why does it have to take this long?????????? I have watched this crap every day on cspan, the Senate is a mess.We are just stuck in the middle of all the bullshit. God forbid you tried to run your company the way they do ,it would not last!They are going to pas this bill by a wide margin in the end but you have to ask yourself why did such a simple thing become such a problem??? I can"t wait for some Government run health care can you,but we will.

waybol

Back to top Go down

Tax relief for smaller investors in Madoff scheme approaching Senate adoption in jobless bill

Post  sc4ram on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:07 pm

I think Senators who accuse other Senators of holding up our bill for ammendments are like the pot calling the kettle black......

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/nationworld/sns-ap-us-madoff-scandal-taxes,0,6403510.story
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:57 pm

They use every bill to posture for their constituents. I am now watching a Republican Senator, Johnny Isakson, using time to thank Democratic Senators for helping to get this bill, which he has supported from day 1, moved forward

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Final Vote Soon?!!

Post  Me From Jax on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:37 pm

I'm watching C-SPAN and I believe they are taking the final vote "THIS" evening... Source : http://washingtonindependent.com/66621/unemployment-insurance-vote-soon

Me From Jax

Back to top Go down

Post  MiamiVice on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:04 pm

UIO!!!!!!!!!! looks like they will be voting FINALLY on this darn thing in a little bit, it's already 5:00, we have had the hellish weeks, i tell you, all of us here, now, if this finally gets voted, WHICH IT WILL, then back to the house then to our Prez for signature. Should we see checks before Thanksgiving? What a Face
MiamiVice

Back to top Go down

THE VOTE IS HAPPENING NOW!!!

Post  Me From Jax on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:29 pm

YAY!!! The bill has passed by a 98-0 margin..

Me From Jax

Back to top Go down

HR3548 Passed by the senate

Post  GonzoFL on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:58 pm

By a vote of 98-0,the United States Senate passed HR3548 unanimously.
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top